NEW Posts...click the links...

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Columbia River, OR - FLW National Guard

June 2009

We had four days of pre fish. We had wind three of the days and one nice day. Our pre fish consequently was really poor, we only located a few areas that were holding fish.

Pre fish partner and good friend Chris Ricci.
Columbia River in June!

Day One I was 21st boat out and drew a very accomplished angler, JR Wright from Truckee, CA. I used an RC 1.5 chartreuse crank bait, a Jackall MR60, and carolina rigged a 4" green pumpkin Senko. JR did the same, and we ended up with about 25 keepers between us. I was able to cull up 10 lb 15 oz.

Day Two I drew Debbie Carnahan. We had heavy windy conditions, which made it real hard to fish, especially for the co-angler. I wound up catching about 10 keepers using the same baits as day one, culling up to 6 lbs 11 oz.

Day Three the weather settled down and we had a nice day. I drew Gayle Janes. This is the third time we drew each other. The 1st two times Gayle never caught a fish behind me. He told me he needed 5 lbs to cash a check, and I guaranteed him he would catch that or more. We were bound and determined to break the slump. Also Gayle informed me that he was wearing his lucky shirt, Oregon State. Anyone in a slump should contact Gayle; he might let you borrow his lucky shirt. He ended up catching 6 lbs 6 oz. good enough for 15th place and cashing a check. Good Job!

I wound up the day culling up to 6 lbs 8 oz catching about 20 keepers. When the water got dead still and I could no longer get bit on a crank or spinner bait, that is when I switched to a 1/4 oz dart head with a 5" cinnamon black flake Yamamoto Grub. This produced about 10 keepers.

I ended up finishing the tournament in 28th place cashing a check.

No comments: