NEW Posts...click the links...

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lake Mohave...

Photo by Rich Holland with WON Bass
The spawn was mostly done in the southern portion of the lake.  I only had 2 1/2 days of pre fish, so I made the choice to fish north because the fish weren't as far along in the spawn. 

There were fish on beds and some guarding fry.  The fish were around the brush in the cuts, but with fishing pressure and water elevation dropping to 642' caused most the fish to move out of the brush and stage on the little shady ledges adjacent to the bigger brush.  So I concentrated on the shady ledges fishing for the staging females.

We had heavy winds and I would leave the north around 12:00 each day, with a limit of bass. It would take an hour to get back to the Kathrine's area.  Then I would fish for smallmouth and managed to cull out a couple of fish each day.

I used 6 and 4 lb test Seaguar Flouro Line, a 4 1/2" Roboworm, and an 8" Maverick Shaker.  The colors were Oxblood and Folkestad Special.  1/8 to 1/4 oz weights varied with depth and wind, using a Team Daiwa TDX drop shot rod.  I also used a Carolina GYM grub.

I averaged about 10 keepers a day, which was good enough for 28.13 lbs winning the tournament by over 5 lbs.

BTW - a series of drop shot videos are coming soon on TC Sports Report, where I discuss the ins and outs of drop shotting in full. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Mike!

Basspastor said...

Way to go!!!

I read the water there was ultra clear. 4lb line Wow. I would never think of going that low here in MN, but then again I'm not fishing smallies and rocks much.

Coloradocasters said...

That is fantastic! I use 6lb mono almost exclusively and transition from bass to trout. Still looking for a quality 4lb. line.

Just came across the blog and enjoying it quite a bit. If you get bored, feel free to give my Colorado Bass fishing blog a peek.

Brigham Brewer said...

You have now idea how much I envy you!

That sounds like some great fishing!

I have a long way to go before I can read the water and the fish like that.

Congrats!